Having been trained and worked in the field of video games, I am accustomed to the attitude that the media takes towards them. They are frequently portrayed as destroying the morals of society and corrupting our youth, the Rockstar Games of the world made out to be the arms and drug dealers of the digital world, even being blamed for murder. The truth, though, is that games are doing far more good than evil. They are treating severe medical conditions, driving technological innovation, being used for teaching and even simulating entire worlds. Here are some of the other ways video games are saving the world.
Listen to this podcast below, or subscribe on iTunes.
Citations & Links
- Technological development due to video games
- Video games being used to treat burn victims
- PTSD treated by video games
- Teaching with video games
- Games used by the US Army
- DARPA funded Rapid Tactical Language Training System
- Foreign culture training with video games
- Visual are skills boosted by video games
- Predator Drones and Video Games
- The virtual economy within Ultima Online